The 14 windmills in the Internationales Mühlen-Freilichtmuseum (International Wind- and Watermill Museum), the confluence of the Aller and Ise rivers and Gifhorn Castle, which was built in 1525, are the most prominent details of the windmill town of Gifhorn in Südheide Nature Park.
The windmill museum has transformed Gifhorn into a “windmill town”. The 14 original-sized windmills from eleven countries include mills from Asia, southern Europe and Russia. A mighty Low Saxon house with a historic baker’s oven is the foodie focal point of the complex. The Glocken-Palast (Bell Palace) and the wooden Russian Orthodox church are just two of the museum’s highlights.
Gifhorn’s Old Town with its 16th century half-timbered houses is the perfect place for a stroll, and the castle, which was built for Duke Francis of Brunswick-Lüneburg, now forms part of a historic museum.
The natural surroundings around Gifhorn are interspersed with heathland, moor and river landscapes. Exciting excursions include the Otter-Zentrum (Otter Centre) and the abbey in Hankensbüttel, lake Bernsteinsee, lake Tankumsee and the Museum Burg Brome (Brome Castle Museum).