A journey through time
Discover the wealth of history in this region, which unveils the treasures of its past, the innovators of the present and the laboratories of the future to its visitors.
“ZeitOrte” (TimePlaces) are historic sites, such as unique geological phenomena, archaeological excavations, buildings or medieval ensembles. In the region’s many towns and cities, including Brunswick, Gifhorn, Wolfenbüttel and Wolfsburg Germany, visitors will find libraries of the Enlightenment, old factory premises, modern sites of art and architecture, museums of the future and world-renowned production sites.
Go on exciting expeditions through time in the towns and cities in the Brunswick Land region:
- Follow in the footsteps of the dukes of the Royal House of Hanover in medieval Brunswick.
- Embrace the spirit of Baroque and the Enlightenment in Wolfenbüttel, where Gotthold Ephraim Lessing worked as a librarian in the ducal library.
- Visit the cradle of industrialisation at the Ilseder Hütte mining site in the district of Peine and the history of steelmaking in Salzgitter.
- Marvel at the world’s oldest power machines in Gifhorn’s International Wind- and Watermill Museum.
- Take a look at the history and future of the inner German border with the “Grenzenlos – Wege zum Nachbarn” (Borderless – Routes to the Neighbour) project in Helmstedt.
- Experiment in the futuristic Phaeno Science Center or find out all you need to know about mobility at Autostadt Wolfsburg.
Take all the time you need to explore the many ZeitOrte, and enjoy your time in the Brunswick Land.