Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum Braunschweig
The Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum is the art museum for the state of Lower Saxony. Opened in 1754, it is not only one of Europe’s oldest museums, but also one of the world’s most important museums of Old Masters thanks to its outstanding collections. Paintings by Cranach, Rubens, Rembrandt and Vermeer, the largest collection of Italian majolica this side of the Alps, a large collection of East Asian art as well as over 100,000 prints and 10,000 drawings on display in the Print Room make this a major international museum. The museum reopened in October 2016 following seven years of renovation and modernisation.
The museum is named after Duke Anton Ulrich of Braunschweig-Lüneburg (1633-1714), a colourful and multifaceted ruler from the Baroque age who laid the foundations for this extraordinary collection of art. The most valuable and significant works in the collection, including Rembrandt’s Family Portrait, Judith with the Head of Holofernes by Rubens and Jan Vermeer’s The Girl with the Wine Glass, found a home in the Lower Saxony of today thanks to the collecting passion of the art-loving Duke. Even Hollywood has tapped the potential of Braunschweig’s artistic treasures. The Girl with the Wine Glass plays a key role in the film Girl with a Pearl Earring, which is based on Vermeer’s famous painting of the same name.
In total, the collection comprises some 190,000 artworks produced over a period of 3,000 years from ancient times to the present day: paintings, prints, sculptures, furniture, applied art (porcelain, majolica, enamels), East Asian artefacts and other precious works of art.
The museum’s second exhibition site, Dankwarderode Castle, is home to national cultural relics from the medieval collection such as the original Braunschweig Castle Lion, a coat which belonged to Emperor Otto IV and pieces from the famous Guelph Treasure, including the Arm Reliquary of Saint Blaise.