Herrenhausen Castle was originally a Baroque building built in the 17th century. From 1819 to 1821, it was remodelled by the court architect of the time, Georg Ludwig Friedrich Laves, in the Classicist style. It was used as a summer palace for the Welf family. After being destroyed during the Second World War, the castle was rebuilt in 2012 at its former location. It restores the architectural point of reference to the famous Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen.