Old Botanical Garden Göttingen, © Göttingen Tourismus e.V.	/ Angelika Daamen
© Göttingen Tourismus e.V. / Angelika Daamen

Alter Botanischer Garten (Old Botanical Garden) Göttingen


The Alter Botanischer Garten is owned by the University of Göttingen, and is located in the city centre. With approximately 19,000 plants, it is one of the most significant gardens in Germany. The garden accommodates a comprehensive scientific plant collection across an area of approximately 4.5 hectares. The oldest plants here are up to 170 years old. The Alter Botanischer Garten was founded by Albrecht von Haller in 1736, in the early years of the university.

For visitors, the most beautiful green area in the city centre makes for a wonderful attraction. Here you can relax in the shade of the trees, or admire the tropical vegetation in the historical greenhouses.

The Orangery is also located on the Alter Botanischer Garten site. In the summer months, the greenhouse can be booked for events. 130 seats are available for festivities, concerts and lectures.

Cake and coffee specialities are offered in the Café Botanik garden café.

Old Botanical Garden Göttingen

Untere Karspüle 2
37073 Göttingen
Phone: +49 (0) 551 / 395755

E-Mail