The botanical garden is owned by the University of Göttingen and is situated in the city centre. With its 19,000 or so accessions, it is one of Germany’s most important gardens. Spanning an area of approximately 4.5 hectares, the garden is home to an extensive scientific collection of plants – the oldest specimens date back up to 170 years. It was founded in 1736, almost the same date as the university, by Albrecht von Haller.
For visitors, the most beautiful green space in the city centre is a welcome tourist attraction. They can relax in the shade under the trees or marvel at the tropical greenery in the historic greenhouses.
The Alter Botanischer Garten also features an orangery. The greenhouse can be booked for events in summer. The venue holds 130 people and is perfect for parties, concerts and readings.
Coffee and cake are served in the Café Botanik garden café.