Weser Renaissance Town Hall and Carillon
The magnificent town hall is one of the most important examples of Weser Renaissance architecture in North Germany. In the lower town hall chamber, murals portray moments from the town’s history. The upper town hall chamber, the former Hochtiedshus (wedding house), today hosts exhibitions. The town hall is a popular place to get married, offering, as it does, an ideal setting in either the more intimate wedding room or the splendid council chamber as well as the magical music of the carillon. Wedding couples from all over the world have left a personal memento of their big day in the shape of decorated wooden hearts attached to the ancient beams. The Doctor Eisenbart carillon in the town hall’s gable chimes 12 noon, 3pm and 5pm daily.
Welfenschloß Castle and Civic Museum
The Welfenschloß castle, originally a princely Gothic-style palace, was completed in 1501 by Duke Eric I of Brunswick-Lüneburg and served thereafter as a residence and administrative headquarters. After being all but destroyed by fire in 1560, it was rebuilt by Duke Eric II in the early Weser Renaissance style. The two Renaissance chambers still preserved in their original state, including the frescoes covering the walls, are the most complete example of their kind to be found anywhere in Germany. In the 16th century, Duchess Elizabeth (1510-1558) ruled the Principality of Calenberg-Göttingen from her seat in Münden. For six years – following the death of her husband and until the majority of her son – she had the opportunity to demonstrate her capabilities as a regent in a male-dominated world. And she made full use of that opportunity by instituting the Reformation in her principality, introducing budgetary consolidation measures, concerning herself with the legal system and many other areas besides. She also wrote instructional books for her family members, songs in the spirit of the Reformation and extensive correspondence, some of which still exists today.
Tillyschanze Observation Tower
The Tillyschanze tower, 25 metres high and standing 90 metres above the town, at the edge of Reinhardswald forest, offers an exceptional panoramic view over the nearby old town and its rivers. The observation tower, which houses the Gustav Eberlein relief titled Defence of the town of Münden in the 30 Years’ War, is a comfortable 20 to 30 minutes’ walk from the town. The neighbouring Waldgaststätte restaurant offers welcome refreshment after the climb to the top. Bus transfer by prior arrangement.
Romanesque Bursfelde Abbey
Right on the right-hand bank of the Weser, some 20km north of Hann. Münden, stands Bursfelde, a former Benedictine abbey, which was established in 1093 and in the 15th century attained great significance in the German-speaking world through the Bursfeld Congregation and the reform movement that began here. Despite many alterations, the original Romanesque building survives largely intact. Today, the former abbey houses a centre for Christian spirituality. The summer concerts held at Bursfelde count among the high points of the region’s cultural calendar.